close
close

Crown suspends sexual abuse charges against former Calgary bar owner

Crown suspends sexual abuse charges against former Calgary bar owner
Crown suspends sexual abuse charges against former Calgary bar owner

Charges against a former Calgary bar owner accused of sexually assaulting an employee were dropped in court Tuesday.

Grant Lee Cichacki was first charged by police in October 2023.

According to police, Cichacki was with an employee at a social gathering in downtown Calgary on December 27, 2022.

According to police, the woman was “taken to a residence in the city centre, where she reportedly lost consciousness”. Police said at the time it was suspected she had been “the victim of unwanted, non-consensual sexual acts”.

On the second day of the trial, prosecutor Tara Wells decided she would not argue for a conviction and ordered a stay of proceedings.

“It is exemplary conduct of the prosecution to weigh the evidence before we get to a real debate, and to say this is not a case where the prosecution would seek a conviction,” defence lawyer Alain Hepner told CBC News on Wednesday.

Hepner said Cichacki was relieved with the outcome of the trial.

According to Hepner, Cichacki faces six other sexual abuse charges and the second trial is set to begin in March 2025.