close
close

Boiler system malfunction likely cause of carbon monoxide incident at Winnipeg nursing home

Boiler system malfunction likely cause of carbon monoxide incident at Winnipeg nursing home
Boiler system malfunction likely cause of carbon monoxide incident at Winnipeg nursing home


Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Services reports that firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide incident at a nursing home on Novavista Drive Tuesday morning.

WFPS responded to a carbon monoxide alarm at 11:27 a.m. Manitoba Hydro also responded to the call and recorded levels of approximately 1,000 parts per million (ppm) in one area of ​​the building.

Based on the measurements, Manitoba Hydro immediately shut off the air systems to prevent carbon monoxide from spreading throughout the building.

When WFPS arrived on scene, crews began ventilating the building and reducing the ppm to zero.

Firefighters say none of the tenants showed symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure. Each tenant was assessed as a precaution.

Manitoba Hydro remained on site to investigate the problem, saying, “It is believed the cause of the carbon monoxide buildup was a boiler system failure.”

Carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous. Fire officials encourage everyone to install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of their home, adding: If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, go outside and call 911.