close
close

Bike shop in North London burns down after e-bike battery fire

Bike shop in North London burns down after e-bike battery fire

A fire that broke out in a bicycle repair shop has caused extensive damage to the premises. The fire is believed to have started after lithium batteries for an e-bike failed and spread to several others in the shop.

Emergency services were called at around 7pm on 7 July. Six fire engines and 40 firefighters arrived at the scene on West Green Road, just off Turnpike Lane in North London.




Crews had the fire under control by 8:12 p.m., but much of the bike shop and part of the apartment above were damaged by the fire. There were no reports of injuries.

READ MORE: Mother of ‘murdered’ baby in hospital after man, 26, is arrested

“Lithium batteries are susceptible to failure and can pose a serious fire risk if overcharged, short-circuited, submerged in water or damaged,” a London Fire Brigade spokesman said.

“Make sure they are not swung around during use or wearing, as this increases the chance of cell damage.”

There were 40 firefighters on site.(Image: LFB)

Lithium batteries can explode or catch fire, especially if overheated, crushed, penetrated or overcharged. Many of the e-bike and e-scooter fires in London have been caused by second-hand vehicles or modified parts bought online.

There are fewer rules for e-bikes and e-scooters bought via online marketplaces or auction sites, so the brigade cannot trust that the products meet the correct safety standards.