Greater Vancouver Zoo Update: 1 Wolf Dead, 1 Missing

Greater Vancouver Zoo Update: 1 Wolf Dead, 1 Missing

One of the wolves released this week after a suspected break-in at the Greater Vancouver Zoo has been found dead. Another wolf is still at large.

Zoo Deputy Director Menita Prasad confirmed the wolf’s remains were found Thursday morning along 264 Street, down the street from the Aldergrove facility. Officials believe the animal was struck by a vehicle.

“We were really hopeful for a positive outcome for all members of our wolf pack, but unfortunately we broke our hearts this morning when we found Chia dead on the side of the road,” Prasad said at a news conference.

Another wolf named Tempest is still missing. Officials asked anyone who sees the animal to contact the Langley RCMP, BC Conservation Officer Service or the zoo.

Tempest is described as a small wolf with a “gray-brown puppy coat” and white patches on her muzzle and forehead.

“She is a shy wolf and does not pose a threat to public safety,” Prasad said. “We just ask that you do not approach her, but report the location where she was spotted.”

The Greater Vancouver Zoo has been closed since Tuesday morning, when staff discovered wolves outside their enclosure. Officials said they found holes in the facility’s fence and gate, leading them to believe the animals had been intentionally released.

There were nine adult wolves and five cubs in the enclosure at the time. The cubs remained inside while the adults left, although Prasad said the animals remained in the zoo grounds.

The deputy director, who became emotional during the press conference, said the wolves were “communicating with each other” and “trying to find each other and reunite their family.”

“I just want to say how amazing it is that all the staff have worked tirelessly over the last few days to get our family members back,” she added. “They’ve done an amazing job. We’re all exhausted and just hoping for the best possible outcome for Tempest.”

Officials said the Greater Vancouver Zoo is expected to reopen to the public on Saturday.

With files from Alissa Thibault of CTV News Vancouver