close
close

Residents living above restaurant escape fire in Centretown on Sunday night

Residents living above restaurant escape fire in Centretown on Sunday night


Residents of a three-storey building on Somerset St W in Ottawa were able to escape a basement fire Sunday evening.

The fire started in the electrical panel of the residential/commercial building according to Ottawa Fire Services (OFS)Residents living above the company reported that there was a lot of smoke in the hallways.

Ottawa Fire Department was called to the scene just before 9:00 p.m. and located everyone inside who was safely evacuated. No injuries were reported and no other occupants were found in the building.

After identifying the location of the fire, crews launched a ‘rapid attack’ and had the fire under control within half an hour of arriving on scene.

Firefighters opened the walls and ceiling around the electrical panel and checked for further fire hazards.

High levels of carbon monoxide were found, so measures were taken to safely ventilate the toxic substances and smoke from the building.

Later that night, residents were able to return to their homes.